Medicine in the past (Ежелгі медицина)
Aims: — To develop pupils’ speaking, translating and thinking skills and abilities on the whole .
— To increase their active vocabulary on the given theme.
— Help pupils to form the healthy way of life. To observe good manners.
Form of the organization of the students’ activities: work in groups
Methods of the lesson: interactive, communicative approach
Type of the lesson: introduction
Equipment: notebooks, an interactive board, cards and pictures
Expected result: the students can speak about medicine and health
Connection of the subjects: biology, geography, history.
Procedure of the lesson
I.Organization moment: greetings
A dialogue with the pupils on duty.
- II. Introduction.
Good morning, dear students. Glad to see you. You’ve come here to practice listening & speaking English.
Let’s do it! I ask you to be active, bright and emotional. Don’t be afraid of your mistakes because to err is human.
The theme of our lesson is «MEDICINE IN THE PAST». our lesson will be held in a way of medical conference and at the end of which the most active participants will be given a so-called certificate.
- 2. Checking the hometask: text MEDICINE IN THE PAST
Since the beginning of time , people have had illnesses and doctors have tried to cure them. In the days when people knew very little about medicine , some very strange and horrible cures were tried. Here are some of the worst!
TOOTHACHE. Ancient Egyptians who had toothache didn’t use to go to the dentist because there weren’t any dentists in those days. So they used to find some dead mouse and put it in their mouth. They left it there for a few hours. Did it take the toothache away? Who knows!? But aren’t you happy that there is a dentist near you?
BACKACHE. Backache is no fun at all – people who suffer from it have a lot of pain. Sometimes it is because of vertebra is out of position. In ancient Greece, doctors used to cure backache like this: they tied the patient to a ladder, pulled the ladder up high and then let it fall to the ground. Bang! The vertebra went back into place. Well, that was the idea , but this cure probably just made the backache worse!
BALDNESS. OK, it’s not really a disease at all. But men whose hair is falling out are never happy about it, are they? the ancient Egyptians had the solution. What did they use to do? They took the fat of a lion, hippopotamus, a cat and a snake, mixed them together – and then rubbed the mixture into the man’s head. Maybe it stopped baldness, maybe not – but the man’s head certainly didn’t smell too good afterwards!
SCROFULA. The middle ages was the time when there was a common skin disease called scrofula. We won’t go into the details, OK? People who had scrofula could easily get rid of it – they just had to get the king or queen to touch them! n the question is : why would a king or queen want to touch a person who had a skin disease?
III. Comprehension check: LEVEL TASKS
I level: working with cards
To translate the given words:
Toothache, backache, baldness, illness, doctor, dentist, solution
II level: true or false (T-P1,P2,P3….)
- Toothache was a very common problem for the ancient Egyptians.
- When the Egyptians put a mouse in their mouth, it died.
- Sometimes backache is caused by a bone that is in the wrong position.
- The ancient Greek cure for backache never worked.
- Mixing different fats to cure baldness was difficult.
- It’s not clear if the Egyptian cure for baldness worked.
- People who got scrofula used to die from it.
III level: Ex 3, p. 83 match the parts of the sentences to complete the definitions.
- a hospital is a place where ……
- an ambulance is a vehicle that…
- a patient is someone who…
- an epidemic is when …
- a vaccination is something which …
- a surgeon is someone who …
- an injection is when ..
- Antiseptic is something that….
- takes people to hospital.
- Liquid is put into a person’s arm with a needle
- Doctors and nurses work
- Operates on people
- A very huge number of people have the same disease
- You put on a cut to keep it clean
- Has a health problem
- Prevents you from getting disease.
- Completing exercises: ex .2,p 83 defining relative clauses.
Circle the correct word:
- The pills that\where are used here cost a lot of money.
- The nurse which\who saw me was very nice
- That’s the office that\ where my mother used to work
- There’s a girl in my class which\ who gets terrible headaches
- My grandfather can remember the days when\which almost nobody travelled by plane
- I know a girl who\whose father is a teacher at your school.
Writing the rule.
Consolidation of the grammar. Ex. 2c, p83.
Hometask: I level: working with the cards
II level: Translation of the given statements p.116
III level: to find an information about medicine in Kazakhstan