Unit: The world of work.
Theme: Stressful jobs.
1. Aim:You will be able to improve your reading skills on the topic and choose the best answer to demonstrate your comprehension of the text.
Read the text:
Many people have jobs that are not very interesting, but a lot of people have to work at night, and this is very difficult. When everybody else is getting ready to go out, they have to go to work, and this puts a lot of psychological stress on them. It is also not very healthy because the human body is designed to be active in the day and to rest in the dark. If this cycle is reversed it can have a bad effect on a person’s health. So, why do people do night shift.
Nowadays many business have to offer a 24 hour service, like hotels, delivery companies, some supermarkets open all night and all day, call centres and hospitals. It is true that some people only need a few hours sleep at night but the majority need eight hours. Humans are most active in the middle of the day, and the time when they are least able to concentrate and be efficient is between 2am and 4 am.
This is the worst time to drive, or to do anything that needs concentration. The body finds it very difficult to adapt to the opposite cycle. Things are not likely to get better in the future because more and more business are working 24 hour cycles to keep in step with our 24 hour society.
Read and choose:
What is the writer’s main aim in writing the text?
• To describe the importance of work.
• To help people change their way of life.
• To say how working at night can be harmful.
2. What does the writer say about night jobs?
*It is easier than working during the day.
*You get better working conditions.
*There is a variety of them.
*Many people refuse to work at night.
3. What would a reader learn about sleep from the text?
• People sleep better in the early morning.
• It’s difficult to change your sleeping needs.
• Everybody needs the same amount.
4. What does the writer say about the future?
*Fewer people will work during the day.
*Many people will stop working during the day.
*Some jobs will always be done at night.
*Nobody will work at night.
5. Which of the following could also be a title for this text?
• A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
• SOCIETY IS CHANGING BUT OUR BODIES ARE NOT!
• A WORKER THAT SLEEPS MORE, WORKS MORE!
3. Fulfill the tasks and send an e-mail to___